Joslyn Oasis will play an integral role in benefitting the overall health and well being of the Joslyn Adult Center community.
SOCIALIZING HELPS FEND OFF DEMENTIA
Staying socially engaged stimulates the brain in areas critical to learning and memory.
EXERCISE = A HEALTHY BRAIN
Physical activity keeps your brain sharp. During exercise, the brain turns on the enzymes that break down beta amyloid plaques (a hallmark of Alzheimer’s).*
CHANGING PERSPECTIVES ON AGING
Being 55+ today is not what it was 20 years ago. As the Boomer Generation matures older adults are more and more active, and are looking for more creative ways to spend their free time.
NEW PROGRAMMING OPPORTUNITIES
1) Fitness Classes
2) Gardening Demonstrations
3) Outdoor Meditation
4) Outdoor Music & Dance Performances
*Study by Genetics and Aging Research Unit at Massachusetts General Hospital.
WHAT IS THE JOSLYN ADULT CENTER?
- Located between Victory & Verdugo at 1301 W Olive Ave., Burbank, CA 91506
- Facility of the Burbank Park, Recreation & Community Services
- Provides programming for adults ages 55+
- Currently serves over 500 members of the Burbank community daily
- Coordinates annual Burbank Senior Games
- Provides classes in fitness, art, music, dance, cards, computer technology, education and support, recreational games
- Deconstruction of the existing shuffleboard court and surrounding fencing
- Planting of a functional lawn/turf area for activities like yoga, music, and martial arts
- Installation of a garden area using drought tolerant plants and waterless fountain
- Replacement or refurbishment of existing shading, benches, and tables.